Nintendo's conference is here and gone. Here's how my predictions held up:
- Wii 2 Revealed, Called Simply "Nintendo" : KINDA : Revealed, but named WiiU, with that weird-ass tablet controller that can stream - without lag - from the system to the controller. What the fuck?
- Wii 2 Priced Less Than $250 : NO : No pricing details.
- Wii 2 Hardware is Out of This World : ??? : They showed no hardware outside of the controller (probably still prototype), and nothing about console specs. However, the visuals look great, so I can only assume.
- Friend Codes Killed :
NOT YETYES : For what they're showing, they better.In an interview with Ubisoft, they confirmed Nintendo has killed Friend Codes in favor of a "single online identity". Thank Thor!
- Nintendo's Heavy Hitters on 3DS : YES : 5 games, actually: Mario Kart, Super Mario 3D, StarFox, Kid Icarus and Luigi's Mansion 2.
- (Some) Launch Titles Shown for Wii 2 : YES : LEGO City Stories was the only game announced for WiiU, but THQ said Darksiders 2 is coming. Arkham City confirmed for WiiU, Assassin's Creed hinted, Aliens: Colonial Marines, Ghost Recon Online (!!), Metro: Last Night (!), Tekken was confirmed, Ninja Gaiden 3 (!!!!)...all of these shown as a demo reel, confirmed for development, but not actual launch titles. Looks like Army of Two was a still behind Riccitiello while he was on stage. Colored me very impressed.
- 3DS Price Drop to less than $200 : NOT YET : With the threat that is the Vita at the same price, I can only assume they will drop the price in the next few months.
- Nintendo Honors Zelda With a 25th Anniversary Collection : KINDA : Not a collection, but some freebers. Oh, and an orchestra concert this fall.
- Nintendo Announces Their Own Slew of HD Collections : SADLY, NO : Nothing yet, but with WiiU games looking the way they do, they should be making them. Soon.
With Ubisoft's confirmation that Friend Codes are dead, that tipped the favor in my direction for a 4:2:3 ratio. I'll take that, thank you very much.